Wednesday, April 05, 2006

#6

First off, I apologize for the delay between posts. I guess you could say I've been doing everything but what I love most (which is talking sports, of course).

Yesterday, I made a trip out to the local Barnes and Noble during my lunch break, looking for a new book...nevermind the fact that I've been working on four other books since Thanksgiving break. One book in particular caught my eye--Best American Sports Writing, 2005. Since sports writing is something I might decide to do one day, it's in my best interest to read examples from some of the greatest columnists and reporters from this decade.

I've only read a few stories so far, but what I've read has been amazing. I'd reccommend it to any sports fan, or anyone who likes good journalism in general.
---
Since I've last written, so much has gone on in the sports world.

1)The Americans finished their disappointing run at the World Baseball Classic
2)NCAA basketball tournament began AND finished
3)Baseball season began
---
1)USA?

This is old news by now, so I'll keep it brief. What I was afraid of last entry actually happened. All the Americans had to do was beat Mexico in their final second round game to advance to the quarterfinals. However, they lost and were eliminated. How is this possible? Well, after thinking about it for a while a few key facts hit me.

-Other countries have been playing for months, and the Americans were still in Spring Training.
-For some Latin American countries, baseball is life. Some kids spend more time on a baseball field than they do in a classroom.
-When you're "the greatest" in a particular sport, you play every game with a huge target on your back. Also see: USSR, 1980 Olympic Mens Hockey and also USA Olympic Mens Basketball, 1972 and 1988 (albeit, 1972 was controversial).

The loss is not as big of a deal as I once thought.

2) NCAA basketball

What a tournament! It's the craziest tournament I've ever seen, without a doubt. UCLA, Florida, George Mason, and LSU in the Final Four? Before the tournament started, I would've bet my college education against those four teams. Thankfully for me (and my parents), I didn't--because anything can happen in one single game, which explains why I don't bet on sports.

Florida wasn't in the top 40 in the preseason poll. UCLA was 19th. LSU? 32nd. And George Mason...well, let's just say that Dick Vitale was closer to being included in the top 25 than George Mason was.

Going into the tournament, I was positive that this was my year to have a successful bracket. Through the first few games I was looking good. Yes! Jackpo--what?! Northwestern State? I thought that was in Illinois. Why is their logo Louisiana?
Texas A&M?
Montana?
Bradley?
George Mason? I thought it was George Washington. We have schools named after a man.

Who are these teams, and why are they ruining my bracket?

Well, as most of you already know, this was the year of the upset. What a great tournament--I wish it could be like this every year.

Next year, maybe I'll actually bet my college education--sorry, Mom and Dad.

3) Baseball Season

I don't have much to say about baseball yet--I haven't gotten in the mood to watch baseball. Once hockey season finishes, it'll feel like baseball season. The Cardinals are off to their usual hot start, as Albert Pujols has hit three home runs in the first two games, Scott Rolen hit a grand slam against his old team, and Aaron Miles is hitting like a different Aaron...Hank, that is.

Of course, these ridiculous numbers can't be maintained over the course of an entire season, but it does help me get hyped for the next 160 games.

-Jarel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»