Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Hello there...

It's been forever since I've written in this thing. Partly because what I feel that I'm not writing as well as I did this summer, but that's to be expected. Writing was my job.

Anyways, this semester I've been working on a project for the journalism program. Without going into detail, I got asked to leave during an interview for the third time during my journalism "career".

I noticed that there are a lot of small things that I do as a journalist...I was thinking about this list as I drove back to campus from my 5 minute interview:

-When I interview someone, I keep my tape recorder hidden underneath my notebook. I always ask if it's okay to record--it just makes people a lot more comfortable if I keep it out of their sight.

-When I show up on the site of my assignment, I don't immediately start asking questions to whoever I see, I step back. Who looks interesting? Friendly? Able to give me a good quote? Takes charge? I talk to them.

-With quotes, I modify them. Just about all of us do. Don't remember saying that? You probably didn't. I keep you from sounding like a moron.

-If you seek me out and go "PUT ME IN YOUR ARTICLE ZOMG LOLOL!!!!1!!one" I'll interview you and act like I'm writing, but not take down a single word.

-Dress like everyone else. Lately, I've had a lot of assignments in low-income areas. If I arrive at my interview dressed like I usually do, a lot of people won't talk to me.

The first time I went to this low-income area, it was the middle of winter. That didn't stop a few residents from milling around the streets. I got out of my car, because I was taking a few pictures.

I was wearing a winter coat. They weren't. I got the dirtiest look ever.

-Don't read my notes as I write them. If you do that, I will write my notes as sloppy as possible so you cannot read them. And I'll hold my notebook at a weird angle...

-...which is possible only because I write really weird. Don't comment about that, either. I've heard it at least once every two assignments.

-DO take pictures of me after I interview you and post them online. Turning the tables on a journalist is pretty enjoyable.
-----
In other news, the semester is finally over. My course load was ridiculous, and I set a goal for my GPA and I'm happy to report.... I got .2 above that! Not much, but it means I accomplished everything I wanted.

The flip side is that I'm a semester closer to graduation. I'm not sure what I will do or where I will be, but that uncertainty is a tad bit exciting. Who knows what will come in December (or May, if I end up here another semester)

What I do know is that the possibilities are endless. Even though growing up and getting closer to the real world can be extremely stressful, I've never been happier.

Jarel

PS: I should start updating this a little more now that it's summer.

No comments: