This weekend I had the pleasure of attending Drum Corps International Open Class and World Class Finals. What an experience! I have been to drum corps shows since 2001, and nothing came close to what I saw on Saturday night.
Phantom Regiment overtook the Blue Devils at Finals, winning by .025. Their performance of "Spartacus" was nothing short of epic. It had me on the edge of my seat during the entire show, alternating between a musical bliss and a state of anxiety. It's tough to explain to anyone that wasn't there, but on Saturday night, Phantom Regiment and the crowd were one.
I have never seen an entire crowd unite as they did for Regiment. I've seen a lot of great drum corps and witnessed even more great performances, but I have never seen anything like that.
We were all Spartacus.
Congratulations to my friends and Southwind brothers and sisters who had the privilege of marching what will go down as one of the greatest performances of musical theater in drum corps history.
I'm in the process of transferring video I recorded to my computer--in the meantime, enjoy this video of the "I Am Spartacus" closing moments of Regiment's victory runthrough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment