Friday, June 30, 2006

Phone calls...

It seems that my phone was ringing off the hook today. It did yesterday, but for good reason (I turned 21).

Today was different. It was a wide variety of people. First was a man who I wrote an article about that ran earlier this week. He wants a copy of the paper, but I don't know what I can do for him, because I was not working that day and was unable to grab several copies.

Next was my former boss. He told me to make the trip down to where he works now once I graduate, and work for him. The idea of having a job after I graduate is nice, but I'm not sure if that's the direction I want to go in.

After that was someone who read my piece on drum corps. He actually works for DCI and ESPN, and he was calling to praise my writing. It's always flattering to get calls from people who appreciate your work--it lets you know that somebody is reading it. We actually talked for about 20 minutes, which was rough because I was filing a story on deadline, and I filed two minutes past deadline (it's ok, though). I was tempted to ask him to connect me with a job, but I thought it'd be awful if I had that conversation here...even if I am only a summer intern.

Other than that, things have been well. Obviously--I cannot wait to be back in Illinois, but I'm only a little over a month away. Time has flown by...but it's not going fast enough.

As a birthday present to myself, I bought an mp3 player. Creative Zen Sleek 20GB. It's amazing. It actually has a microphone on it, which I used on assignment this morning to record a couple of speeches--it worked really well. Most likely the best money I've spent in quite awhile.

On that note, have a wonderful Fourth of July. I'm working this weekend, but it shouldn't be too bad. I work a cops shift on Sunday...I just hope that nothing huge happens. Or do I? It'd be a nice chance to get a byline on a great story.

-Jarel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As one of your blog admirers, I noted that your profile was in great need of an update. In your profile, you clearly state that you are 20 years of age. Conflicting evidence can be found in your latest post. Also, I enjoyed your google news link to the article featuring William Wiggins. Keep up the good work!
-The Management :)