Saturday, July 21, 2007

Why I Did It

No, this isn't about the new OJ book...


It's about Facebook. As just about everyone knows, the final installment of the Harry Potter book series was released at midnight. Yesterday I changed my profile to include spoilers in my 'About Me'.

Why did I do it? Honestly, I don't really know. The chance for hilarity (in my eyes and a few others, of course) was way too easy.

The reactions were split evenly. A lot of fans were really pissed off at me. A lot of other people thought it was hilarious. I had been debating posting it for a few days, but reached my breaking point on Friday morning. I was watching CNN and they interviewed a grown man dressed as one of the characters. He was some sort of wizard. (Give me a break, I don't know names)
He had been camped out ALL WEEK. Over a book! A grown man, dressed up like a wizard, camped out for a week straight. Does anyone see a problem with that?

A friend asked me if I would be pissed if someone ruined the end of Lost for me. I would be a little angry, then I'd laugh and realize that it's just a show. The fact that a lot of us are forgetting to differentiate between fantasy and reality is a little frightening.

I know that I've had my times when I am a little too excited over something trivial (sports, tv shows, video games, a lot of other things) but I'm not afraid to call myself out on it.

Yes, I like Lost a lot. However...do you see me dressing up as a character from a show, in anticipation of the season finale? No. So don't even compare it.

Would I post spoilers again? In an instant.

Sorry to anyone who I ruined things for, but just remember: It's a book.
-----
In other news, I hate technology. My laptop has been having all sorts of issues. I DID buy it in January 2005, so it's to be expected...but it's been rough. The power connection is broken, along with the ethernet port. Luckily, I've been able to fix both.

On top of that, I fixed my mp3 player. It's been out of commission for about 2 weeks, but it's working again.

Here's the plan for the rest of summer: 2 weeks of band camp in Carbondale, 1 week in Vegas then I'm back and ready to start the year. A few shades darker, of course. However...I won't ever get this dark again:

Sorry to Adrienne for randomly posting this without her knowledge (until now!) but that's from almost exactly 2 years ago. I was on tour with Southwind, and she caught up with me after the San Antonio show. It was really hot, I was sweaty. And dark. A lot darker than that picture shows.

In our defense, here is a more up-to-date picture:


It's been a fun trip home. I'll have more pictures to upload when I get back to school, and hopefully pictures from the next few weeks.

For now...I'm heading to the gym, and then enjoying my last night in O'Fallon.

-Jarel

No comments: